News Release Eligibility Guidelines
EurekAlert! is a news release distribution system operated by the nonprofit American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) as a resource for journalists and the public. All news releases submitted to EurekAlert! must describe information first released within the past 90 days.
News releases, where applicable, may be submitted with a news embargo only if the embargo is set by the journal publisher or by the organizer of a scientific meeting and/or press event where the information will first be publicly released. News releases may not carry an embargo if the information is publicly available at the time of submission.
EurekAlert! reserves the right to determine the eligibility and categorization of all news release submissions based on the following guidelines:
This category covers information that has undergone a recognized scientific validation process, including:
- Research published in a peer-reviewed journal or presented at a scientific meeting
- Editorials, commentaries, or perspectives based on scientific research published in a peer-reviewed journal
- Scientifically validated survey data or image analysis produced or vetted by a credible, recognized organization
- Timely science policy news with recommendations based on published research
- Research results that have begun, but not yet completed, peer-review, including working papers and preprints, are not eligible
- Editorials, commentaries, op-eds, letters to the editor, or perspectives that are based primarily on individual opinion, not published in a peer-reviewed journal, and/or not supported by new peer-reviewed research or a recent review of existing research are not eligible.
Science Business Announcement
This category covers information that is primarily transactional in nature, and/or is not intended for further validation by peer-review, including:
- Announcements of collaborations, mergers, or agreements between organizations
- Start of a new clinical trial, a trial phase, or other milestones
- Regulatory approval, licensing, or patenting of new products or technology
- Forecasts, trends, or reports of new economic or financial developments in industries or organizations not intended for further validation by peer-review
- New databases or resources, made available publicly or to the scientific community, intended to aid scientific research
- Results of clinical trials are not eligible prior to peer-review
- Organization-specific administrative announcements are not eligible, including appointments or changes in leadership or faculty; new buildings, facilities, or equipment; new programs or institutes; and ranking announcements.
Scientific Meeting Announcement
- Information about an upcoming scientific meeting, conference, or seminar at which new scientific research is being presented, and which is open to the media or public
- Summary or highlights of a recently held scientific meeting, conference, or seminar at which new scientific research was presented, and which was open to the media or public
- Information about an upcoming physical or virtual press event, or the press-only components of a public event, such as a press conference, press briefing, teleconference, media tour, or media availability, where new scientific research is being released
- Media Advisories are visible to reporter-registrants only. To make information available to the public, please submit a news releases under another category
- Financial funding made to organizations, projects, or individuals, including fellowships
- Information about work that will begin or continue due to new or continued funding
- An award or honor, typically not monetary in nature, given to a person or organization
- The announcement must clearly convey the significance of the award to the scientific community at-large (not just to the specific discipline) and/or to the general public
- Publication of a new book, manual, or textbook related to science, medicine, technology, or the environment
EurekAlert! does not accept all news releases, including but not limited to those that fall under the following categories:
- Research results that have not yet completed peer-review, including working papers and preprints
- Editorials, commentaries, op-eds, letters to the editor, or perspectives that are based primarily on individual opinion, not published in a peer-reviewed journal, or not supported by new peer-reviewed research or a recent review of existing research
- Organization-specific administrative news, such as appointments or changes in leadership or faculty; new buildings, facilities, or equipment; new programs or institutes; and ranking announcements
- Expert availabilities, feature stories, public statements, speeches, open letters, Q&As, interview transcripts and other materials not written in a media release format
- News regarding, or websites aimed at, public awareness events or campaigns
- Calls for research paper submissions, award/grant applications, entry in competitions, participation in projects or clinical trials, or donations
- In rare cases, at our sole discretion, news releases that may be perceived to promote biased findings, raise unanswered questions about potential conflicts of interest, and/or carry an advocacy agenda unfounded in scientific research, may be deemed inappropriate for the site.
AAAS and EurekAlert! are not responsible for the accuracy of news releases posted to EurekAlert! by contributing institutions or for the use of any information through the EurekAlert system.
Policy last updated Sept 1, 2020